Wednesday, June 3, 2009

The Man from U.N.C.L.E.

UNCLE I just rented the first disc from the first season of The Man from U.N.C.L.E. starring Robert Vaughn as Napoleon Solo and David McCallum as Illya Kuryakin. Weren’t we all in love with these two?

 

Does anyone remember was U.N.C.L.E. stood for? No fair cheating BY looking on the Web. Or on Netflix.

I remember watching this show as a child. The first season was in 1964, which I barely remember, so it was probably much later that I remember, especially since these episodes are in black and white.

I had this confused with Get Smart, because I though their arch enemy was KAOS. Of the 3 episodes on this disc, each had a different group trying to overthrow a government, each time a different country. One was what I assume was a country in South or Central America, because she had a Spanish accent. The second was a country in Africa where the "bad guy" was the President and he was going to kill off his ministers. The third was a group from Yugoslavia.

What I had forgotten, or not realized at the time, was the role women played in these films. Either she is answering the phone 0r radio in a bikini (2-piece swim suite to those of you under 50) or she is pulling files to be ogled at or getting coffee for the men.

There are female guest characters who plan a strong woman who is in control. But most of the strong women were "bad guys". No wonder I wanted to become a secretary

No comments: